Why are DVD's crashing or freezing my computer?
Hi, I am using a notebook PC running Windows XP. When I play DVDs all is fine until suddenly it just freezes. I can't press any buttons or anything, the computer is completely unresponsive. I can take the DVD out of the drive but the computer is still frozen. I have to kill the power to restart the computer. What could be causing this? I tried two different video players and it happened with both.
Usually when a computer starts acting up after it has been working normally for awhile, the problem is a misbehaving Windows driver, or some other new software that was loaded. Try using DriverAgent to hunt down the missing drivers and repair the system. That is usually the fastest way to fix video problems with your computer.
Since you are running Windows XP Professional, another way would be to use System Restore. System Restore is a Windows XP Professional program that regularly backs up your Window's Registry.
To start System Restore, go to Start, go to Accessories, go to System Tools, go to System Restore. Choose Restore your computer to earlier time then click Next. Then use the calendar to select a restore point when you think your system was functioning normally. Windows XP will then load the Registry from the date you selected.
Any programs or hardware drivers loaded after the Restore date probably will not function because they no longer exist in the older Registry. You can undo any restore you make or choose another restore point. It does not delete files from your hard drive.
How to speed up a slow PC
- How to Speed Up a Slow Computer
- How to speed up a Virtual PC
- Free Up RAM to Speed Up Computer Performance
- How to Speed Up Windows Startup
- "Big Windows Freeze" - How to Fix PC Freezes
- Not Enough Disk Space - How to Fix the Low Disk Space Error
- How to Defrag Your Computer - 3 Simple Tips
- Using Chkdsk: How to Fix Hard Drive Errors
- How to Fix Registry Errors
Improve your PC for better performance
- Three Best Ways to Back Up Your Computer
- How to Increase Internet Speed
- How to eliminate or get rid of a virus
- How to find out what hardware driver is installed on your computer
- How to update your hardware drivers
- How to access a crashed hard drive
- How to install a hard drive in your computer
- How to Manage Disk Space